About Professor Govender
- Professor Govender is married to Professor Suria Govender and they have two children, Yesh and Tarlia.
- Professor Suria Govender is an associate professor at UKZN and is the artistic director of the SuriaLanga Dance Company which has performed at three presidential inaugurations and has danced in various cities in the world including Paris, Washington, Seoul, Singapore, Amsterdam and in Cambridge.
- Yesh is a Veterinary Surgeon and is the principal vet at the SPCA in Kloof and is married to Dr. Omashini Armoogum. Tarlia is now a final year medical student at UKZN.
- Professor Govender is a third generation South African. His father’s grandmother came to South Africa as an indentured labourer and chose to remain in SA after her indenture.
- His parents, Balan and Rani, ran a grocery and spice business in the centre of Durban for about 40 years. Their hard work and initiative made it possible to educate all three of their children.
- Professor Govender has two siblings. His brother Prakasen is a successful architect and runs his own practice in Durban and his sister Ruby Maharaj, is a dedicated educator
Trusts and Voluntary Activities
- Professor Govender is the chairperson the Association of University Legal Aid Institutions (AULAI) Trust. The purpose of the trust is to advance access to justice by assisting campus law clinics to train lawyers and to provide free legal advice to indigent persons.
- He was also a member of the SAIFAC Trust, a public law think tank, under the chairpersonship of Emeritus Justice Laurie Ackerman.